Monday 17 October 2011

Blog Five: Familiar occupations

Allo Allo!

Well I thought it would be a super fun idea for the people who are writing about guitar for this blog as well as me to get together and have a wee jam! In the end it was only my fellow class mate Merryn who was available and keen for a wee get together! We met up at tech and to my surprise the place was dead (we were on "holiday"). Merryn was already playing some nice mellow acoustic tune so it wasn't hard to figure out where bout's she was as the acoustic guitar could be heard echoing in the 2nd floor corridor of the OT school! Straight away I noticed her super radical acoustic guitar and became jealous as hers was acoustic electric and mine was not but also because on the neck/fretboard she had mountains engraved into it and it was the coolest thing Ive ever seen! needless to say that when I asked if we could swap guitars for keeps she wasn't too keen! We didn't really know where to start cos we didn't really know what each other was in to or the type of music we like to play. I suggested some Lynyrd Skynyrd as that's whats on my mp3 at the moment, she didn't know the song but she was soon on the computer and nailing those chords down. We had a wee bit of a muck around and then decided to have a go at a more well known Skynyrd song.....Sweet Home Alabama! We started jamming away and the awsum-ness that is that song consumed me and I had the need to crank out some husky vocals.... "Big wheels keep on turning!" eventually I couldn't remember the lyrics and that was the end of that! Like always it was great to have another guitar mixing with my own, the sounds combining and working together to make a unique sound. Even though people are playing the same tune they're always different for example the strumming patterns may be a wee bit different or like me I tend to strum really hard the more I get into the song (I'm always worried I'm gonna break my guitar), its something Ive picked up on when jamming with other people lately, people adding their own little "touch" to someone Else's song. We carried on playing a different range of tunes, mixing and making them our own and then finally we were done!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt,
    Great to hear you are getting to play lots and with different people, I can tell your really enjoy it! Have you ever thought much about composing your own music or song? What do you think about people who do?
    Keep playing and I'll finally get around to watching you at some stage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes I have. I have a couple but I dont like them much haha. I think people who write songs are awsum. thanks!

    ReplyDelete